hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
Linux MintPPC Forums • View topic - Powerbook G3 Pismo, 400MHz

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Powerbook G3 Pismo, 400MHz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:01 am 

I pulled my old Powerbook out of storage last week, and decided to try to install Linux. I'm a complete newbie, so problems were expected. I first tried a Debian PPC distro, but even though it appeared to install OK, I got an uninformative failure screen just after the debian login: screen flashed by. In looking at the site, all the Mac ppc models listed were G4s, so that may have been the issue.

MintPPC 11 installed, with an error message about inability to access 'security.debian.org' (?) and a list of other issues at the end (have to find if a log exists). Performance is OK for me - it sometimes takes awhile for an application to launch, and there doesn't seem to be a busy cursor during those launch times, so I am sometimes left for a few seconds wondering if something is awry.

A couple of things I have done to make the experience better for me:

- In IceDove and IceWeasel, turned off smooth scrolling. The processor is too slow to do this effectively.
- In PowerPrefs/Machine dependent control options/Input Devices, the 'notap' radio button is activated. I tend to be light on the trackpad, and was constantly 'clicking' when I didn't want to.
- In Keyboard and Mouse/Mouse, I have set Acceleration to 1 from the default of 2 to get less sensitive mouse movement.

I'm still figuring out some workflows, but over looks good!

Re: Powerbook G3 Pismo, 400MHz
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm 

I neglected to mention that MintPPC 11 works fine with my Netgear WG511T wireless PC card. It has an Atheros chipset, and connects to my network without any issues. I did not have it inserted when I did the installation, so MintPPC apparently automatically installs the necessary bits and pieces to make this card work.