comatose
comatose
comatose
comatose
hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
hyenas
Linux MintPPC Forums • View topic - How to deactivate a GFX card (dual GFX card setup)

All times are UTC + 1 hour

How to deactivate a GFX card (dual GFX card setup)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:16 am 

Hello,
I'm not a Linux Guru, but I enjoyed using MintPPC 11 on my AmigaONE X1000.
My system has a dual-boot with AmigaOS 4.1.6 and MintPPC 11 and has 2 graphic cards :
- a new Radeon HD 6670 PCI-e
- a old Radeon 9250 PCI (useful for some tasks on AmigaOS)

When only the HD 6670 is plugged on my Amiga, the 2D/3D acceleration works well on MintPPC. I test it with glxgears and supertuxkart (very fast)

But when I plug, too, the Radeon 9250, the acceleration seems disabled, glxgears give me 70 fps and supertuxkart is very slow.

Therefore, is somebody know if it's possible to deactivate a graphic card at boot-up ?
Is Linux kernel can inhibit a graphic card ?

Thank, by advance, for your help

Re: How to deactivate a GFX card (dual GFX card setup)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 am 

I doubt many readers on this forum have ever used an Amiga machine, let alone have used any kind of Mac (PowerPC-based or Intel-based) with more than one graphics card installed... in the same machine. With that being said, I found some mention of other people on the Ubuntu Forums who also brought up the same topic:
However, you might be in a better position than the people there since BOTH of your graphics cards would end up relying on the same ATI driver (more or less), i believe. The main problem is whether or not Xorg will allow for more than one "Device" section in the same xorg.conf file.

While I was looking around, I also stumbled upon this exciting piece of info...:
And even if it's posted on the ArchLinux page, I believe Xorg is still Xorg for all intensive purposes... so why not try it out? By all means, let us know your findings! :)

But if I misunderstood what you really wanted.... like you really do WANT TO DISABLE either one of your ATI cards, then presumably, all you'd have to do is simply comment-out the corresponding device entry of the ATI card that you want to be deactivated in the xorg.conf file.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02 pm 

Great !
Thank you rkmugen :)

I have the Radeon accelerated drivers working with the 2 Radeon cards on my X1000 (by inhibiting the old Radeon 9250 card).

http://zzd10h.amiga-ng.org/Divers/Linux_DualRadeon.png

Now I don't have to unplug my 9250 when I want to play to SuperTuxKart on Linux :)

I have posted your solution on the AmigaX1000 forum :
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... 561#p17561

I have just :
1) issued a "lspci" command to show where is physically located your RadeonHD card

2) created a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf,

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "radeon"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080_75.00"
EndSubSection
EndSection

3) And voila !

Thank again rkmugen :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 pm 

HOLY CRAP, those are some sweet FPS numbers! :o Congrats on getting both cards working... simultaneously! I seriously thought you'd have to designate two separate "Device" sections in the xorg.conf, even if the two cards are from the same manufacturer or rely on the same driver (in your case, both rely on ATI).... but clearly this isn't the case, which is pretty sweet! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

very well done and indeed, those glxgears numbers are even better than my pretty recent MacBook 2,1 ! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:02 am 

Hey, guys. Glad zzd10h sought help here, because it helped me.

I also have an AmigaONE X1000 computer with two video cards, and thanks to the advice here today I finally -- after months -- got video acceleration working on my machine under MintPPC. So thanks!

I have two cards because AmigaOS does not yet support dual monitors with just one card. In MintPPC, I don't have both cards working at once, but the instructions for disabling one of the cards at least allowed acceleration to work on the main display. I'm getting 1080fps with glxgears on my ATI RadeonHD 6850.

Anyway, I will have some other Minty questions not related to display cards, so expect to see a thread or two started by me soon. AmigaOS is the main appeal for me on this machine, but having a Linux alternative to fill in some of the software gaps is a good thing.